Fun Facts About CatsSeptember 21, 2016
Who doesn’t love some fun facts about cats? Read our top 15 cat facts sure to have you fascinated by our fantastic furry friends.
- Did you know that cats have seriously good night vision? They can apparently see up to SIX times lower than what humans can! No wonder they are such great night hunters.
- Sir Isaac Newton developed the cat door.
- Cats have over 20 muscles that control their ears!
- Have you ever noticed when your cat smells with their mouth? Their gaping mouth look is known as taste scenting because cats have an amazing ability to control their breathing, it allows cats to taste the air.
- A cat can jump six times their length or around 2.5 metres in a single bound.
- A cat’s purr has a frequency between 25 and 150 Hz, which is also the frequency at which muscles and bones grow and repair themselves. So your cat’s purring could be helping your bones!
- Achoo! According to Hebrew text, Noah prayed to God asking Him to protect food, which was being devoured by rats. God responded by making a lion sneeze and out popped a cat. MEOW!
- Most cats don’t have eyelashes – go on, have a look.
- A mother cat actually teaches her kittens to purr when they are just a few days old. This early lesson helps her deaf and blind newborns find her.
- The domestic cat is also known as the Felis catus or Felis silvestris catus.
- Cats are considered a carnivorous mammal.
- Yes, cats have even been into space! The first cat to become a member of the galactic animal squad was a French cat named Felicette or Astrocat. She made the trip back safely to earth in 1963.
- The largest litter ever born, consisted of a total of 19 kittens! This is pretty impressive considering most litters are around six.
- Cats have five toes on their front paws and four on their hind paws. Don’t miss the sneaky toe on the front pad!
- Lastly, have you ever noticed that your cat likes sweet things, such as corn and ice-cream? Scientists believe this is due to a taste receptor mutation.
As a cat owner, you know firsthand how lovely felines are, and with these fun cat facts your kitty cat’s loveliness is sure to increase. Or are you cat crazy already?
Can’t get enough? Check out these World Record Breaking Cats!
A BIT ABOUT THE BLOGGER:
Nadia Crighton is a well-known and accomplished Australian Journalist and pet magazine Editor. As a busy mum of four humans, two dogs, 50 sheep, one cat, a handful of chickens and a goat named Billy (and let’s not forget the axolotls!), she simply adores pets of all shapes and sizes. These are her personal thoughts and advice from many years of pet-ownership and working within the pet industry.