The Most Popular Dog NamesNovember 4, 2015
Nadia Crighton investigates the most popular dog names around the globe alongside some tips to help you choose the perfect name for your puppy.
For most of us, choosing the perfect name for our new puppy is a serious business. With so many websites offering advice, it is no wonder many of us feel overwhelmed with choice. Pets Training & Boarding have compiled a list of the most popular dog names and the growing trends around naming dogs.
Things to Consider When Choosing A Dog Name:
- What breed is your dog? You need to consider this when choosing a dog name. For instance calling a Dobermann ‘Fluffy’ may attract some funny looks down the park.
- What is the ‘yell factor’? Try calling out the name. Is it easy to call out across the park or are you stumbling around the length or difficulty of the name?
- What is the name likely to be shortened, too? Do you like the shortened version? Ultimately this is what your dog could be called ‘most’ of the time.
- Consider a good strong name, not a comical one. Remember that your dog will be called this for a very long time. It’s always a good idea to be sensible, not silly, when choosing a good name.
- Does the name sound similar to any other conflicting words? Remembering that dog’s hear tones and not exact words. Keep it simple and strong so that your pup will easily recognise their name.
- Experts suggest choosing a dog name with two syllables, as most dog commands only contain one (sit, stay, heel). This will make life easier for your learning pup.
- Make a list and have a few names ready for when pup arrives. Then choose the name that best fits with your dog’s character and personality.
The Top 20 Dog Names From Pet Insurance Australia:
Top Celebrity Dog Names
1. Lady GaGa
Asia – French Bulldog
2. Selena Gomez
Baylor – Siberian Husky mix
Elvis – Bulldog
4. Matthew McConaughey
Foxy – Australian Cattle Dog
5. Jim Carrey
George – Great Dane
6. Eva Longoria
Jinxy – Maltese
Louie – Dachshund
8. Kelly Osbourne
Noodles – Pomeranian
9. Justin Bieber
Sammy – Papillon
10. Hugh Jackman
Mocha – French Bulldog
– For information on how to house train your puppy click here. –
A BIT ABOUT THE BLOGGER:
Nadia Crighton is a well-known and accomplished Australian Journalist and pet magazine Editor. As a busy mum of four humans, two dogs, 50 sheep, three cats, a handful of chickens and a goat named Billy, she simply adores pets of all shapes and sizes. These are her personal thoughts and advice from many years of pet-ownership.